Table Talk - Development

Heromachine2.5

go here, it's fun! :wink:

ugo.com/channels/comics/hero ... chine2.asp

We don't need companions, do we?

I can't think about that right now anyways since Im knee deep in figuring out how to tweak my magus to get it right. I might pull an old companion from my old tabletop game who ddied an early death in that game. He's a former templar and a very good fighter. he'd also be just about right as is since we were about 15 years out of gauntlet in that saga at the time of his demise.

Ill send him to you, Marko when I get my head clear of Dragan lol.

The general consensus from earlier in the thread was that we’ll make companions as we need or want them, but are by no means required to.

Well, here’s everything I have so far. I’ve tried to clean it up and make it as clear as possible, but I’m afraid it’s still very detailed - probably much more than necessary. My goal was to simulate the breadth, depth, and emotional investment of a character generated through play, and I had fun doing it, so I’m content.

Inigo uses several new spells of his own invention, which I will post to the spell wiki shortly. Some of them had no previous guidelines, and sometimes size modifiers and descriptions were somewhat unclear. He also dabbled in the Mysteries a bit. I chose to use the Legion of Mithras because thematically it fit what I was going for, but I changed the initiations somewhat, and justified by saying his parens (whose idea it was all along) is a bit of a free thinker within the cult. If anyone objects stridently to my using the Legion this way, I’ll make up something else for him to join. In any case, I welcome comments in both these areas.

For his lab, I did my best to describe the place I imagined him living, working, and being happy, and I think I stayed within our bounds. As regards actual labwork, he did rather a lot of experimentation. I did my own rolling, and got insanely lucky with two (!) discoveries in a row. Sheer, dumb, blind luck: eat your heart out, Bonisagi. I left them in because 1) I rolled ‘em, damn it! How often do you get that lucky? and 2) The bonus even for the both of them was less than a productive season at Andorra anyway, and appears to balance out in the bean counting.

His daughter is nearly of marriageable age, so she may not be a Dependent for all that much longer. What happens to the story flaw after that, well, surprise me. Perhaps its something to do with her husband? Or does his relationship with her change to True Friendship? Some crazy twist? My only request is that she not die, at least not for a while. Preferably not until she’s had children.

I have a version of his history as I conceive of it posted with his character sheet. It was muddled, unclear, and very detailed when entwined into development, so I extracted it. I’ve posted a somewhat condensed version (ha!) before his advancement and I may whip up something more narrative and in the next little while. Hopefully, that will round him out and give insight to his character for those interested. For those who aren’t, I imagine what’s below is more than enough.

I welcome comments, suggestions, constructive criticism, auditing, and the like. I’ve done my level best to proofread, but I’ve probably still overlooked something. I'm sorry in advance for the massive block of text that follows, and I look forward to playing with you all!

At Gauntlet:
Inigo Elazar, of Flambeau
Male, Size 0

Inigo has a light tan, and his long blonde hair is tied neatly back. His face is carefully clean shaven and his eyes are intense.

Born the son of a Basque fisherman and sometime whaler, Inigo knew he was not destined for the sea. Apprenticed to Isabeau the Spirited of Flambeau at Sarnia, a small covenant between the Provencal and Normandy Tribunals, he was trained in fighting, honor, and the School of the Founder.

Wizard's Sigil: Inigo's spells are subtle and stylized, often incorporating a motif of flowers.
Personality Traits: Lighthearted +3, Optimistic +2, Brave +3
Reputations: None

Characteristics:
Int: +2, Per +1, Str 0, Sta +2, Pre +1, Com -1, Dex -1, Qik +1

Virtues and Flaws
Virtues: +0 Gifted Hermetic Magus, +F Puissant Ignem, +1 Inventive Genius, +1 Affinity with Creo, +1 Affinity with Ignem, +1 Deft Ignem, +1 Book Learner, +1 Puissant Parma Magica, +1 Life Boost, +3 Major Magical Focus: Heat,
Flaws: -1 Incomprehensible, -1 Ambitious,-1 Deleterious Circumstances (when embarrassed, flustered, or extremely surprised), -1 Incompatible Arts (Intellego Mentem and Intellego Auram), -3 Optimistic, -3 Story Flaw that becomes “Dependent”

Abilities: Iberian Area Lore (legends) 1, Artes Liberales (Ceremonial magic) 2, Athletics (running) 1, Awareness (alertness) 1, Brawl (dodging) 3, Charm (first impessions) 1, Concentration (spell concentration) 1, Euskara/Basque (storytelling) 5, Finesse (precision) 1, Folk Ken (warriors) 2, Guile (fast talk) 1, Latin (Hermetic usage) 4, Leadership (inspiration) 1, Magic Lore (regiones) 1, Magic Theory (inventing spells) 3, Parma Magica (Ignem) 1+2, Penetration (Ignem) 1, Philosophiae (natural philosophy) 1, Single Weapon (longsword) 1, Stealth (sneak) 2, Survival (foothills) 2

Magical Arts XP / score
Cr (24x1.5)/8
In 3/2
Pe 15/5
Re 15/5

Corpus 6/3
Ig (44x1.5)/11+3
Vim 3/2

Spellbook
Wizard’s Leap, ReCo15
Wizard’s Sidestep, ReIm10
Vision of Heat’s Light, InIg 20
Wizard’s Icy Touch, PeIg 10
Ward Against Heat and Flames, ReIg25

New Spells:
The Sun’s Embrace, CrIg 20
Conjure incredible heat around the target, causing him to take +15 damage. If this is enough to kill, the target is incinerated to mere ash. Metal near the target is heated red-hot, and flammable materials on or near his person are likely to ignite.
Base 10 +2 Voice

Radiant Aegis of the Righteous, Cr(Re)Ig20
To others, you glow brightly enough to rival the sun, but when you look at yourself you see only a faint gold glow under your skin. Anyone trying to engage you in combat must succeed on a Stamina roll of 8+. If they fail, they cannot engage you and are blinded for a few seconds (-3 to all rolls requiring sight).
Base 10 +1 Diam +1 Requisite

Equipment
Weapons and armor of reasonable quality
A recently forged longsword
A simple grey robe.

History: 1202-1220
Born the son of a Basque fisherman and sometime whaler, Inigo knew he was not destined for the sea. He was apprenticed to Isabeau the Spirited of Flambeau and trained in duty, justice, honor, and magical combat. After leaving the covenant of his apprenticeship with an admonishment to use his strength for good, Inigo happened upon the peaceful covenant of Morgan’s Rise, which was being molested by a large troll. After defeating the troll, Inigo was invited to join the covenant as a sort of mercenary-protector by the covenant’s elder maga, Luene of Merinita.

During his time at Morgan’s Rise, Inigo met and fell in love with Zoé, a fiery, raven-haired smith who took an immediate dislike to him. Their courtship was long and fraught with peril, especially for Inigo. He ventured into a faerie regio and was grievously wounded while retrieving a never-wilting rose for her, planning to give it as a wedding present. His bastion of advice, safety, and warm cooking during this whole period is the grandmotherly Luene, who often lectures him on the magic of love and life.

As he courted Zoé, Inigo himself was being courted by the Legion of Mithras, unbeknownst to him. A series of riddles relating to Integrity, Justice, and the Law were posed to him by a talking raven, and solving them lead him to the top of an ancient, abandoned tower, where it was revealed that Isabeau was the instigator and future Mystagogue.

Their closeness did not prevent her from doing what is necessary. She initiated Inigo with an uncharacteristically brutal rite. He was sealed in a deep cavern, in total darkness. Though he continually tried to make magical light, it was always extinguished. He remained in the dark there, living on what rats and vermin he can kill, his despair growing each time his light was extinguished. Finally, thinking of Zoé’s love and terrified by the thought of losing her, he reached within himself, finding his inner light and gaining the strength to escape. From this Ordeal, he acquired unshakeable self-confidence, but forever tied his magical power is to the inner strength he gained.

After she forgave him for being away for so long, Zoé finally consented to marry him. Little is known about ceremony, other than that it was private. Luene of Merinita was no doubt involved in the preparations. Zoé gave Inigo an exquisitely crafted brass pendant in the shape of a rose as a wedding gift, while he gave her the faerie rose he’d worked so hard for when he’d first met her. She was noticeably pregnant by the end of the season.

Less than six months later, the covenant fell under attack by a mysterious hedge wizard known as the Blind Man, who seemed to take a perverse delight in killing children. Inigo’s objections to leaving his wife were extreme, but as the only magus truly trained for combat, he accepted his duty and left his wife in Luene’s hands. With the help of the senior magi, Inigo found and battled the hedge wizard in his stronghold. The battle created a swath of destruction in the dark forest where the evil mage made his home, but the mage escapes, disappearing at the last minute.

Returning to Morgan’s Rise, Inigo learned that Zoé had given birth to their daughter, Kesara. One life was traded for another – despite Luene’s ministrations, Zoé died in Inigo’s arms. Unable to bear the pain of the loss, Inigo abandons his post, runs away from Morgan’s Rise and takes up serious drinking, abusing himself for several months before Luene found him throwing up in a ditch. For Kesara, Inigo pulls himself out of grief. He returns to her and cannot help but love her, though the pain of losing Zoé is still fresh. Luene and his mater, Isabeau, agree to be Kesara’s godparents.

After Kesara’s baptism, Inigo’s jaw was set and his grief was clearly hidden, not gone. He approached Isabeau, all but demanding that she grant him the next rank in the Legion. His mater gently reminded him that all the power, confidence and justice in the world will not bring Zoé back. She tells him that the evil hedge wizard is still at large. Inigo immediately sought the man out, hunting carefully and long for traces of the Blind Man. Their final confrontation was a bloody battle deep in the forest which, in the end, Inigo emerged alive and the hedge wizard did not. The battle left a deep scar on Inigo’s left cheek, forever a reminder of all he has fought for and all he has lost.

Impressed with his success, Isabeau brought him deeper into the Mysteries, admonishing him all the while not to seek power for power’s sake. She promised to initiate him soon, and found a place for him at Andorra through her amicus, Sancho of Flambeau.

While at Andorra, Inigo learned of the Knights, their devotion to Order, and their commitment to righteousness. Seeking a work to forget his grief, a cause to stir his heart, and a safe refuge for his baby girl, he humbly but deliberately asked the Knights for membership. After some consideration and debate, the Knights agreed – if he could pass their ordeal. Inigo fasted in contemplation for three days, instructed in the Illuminations by a council of upstanding Knights. He remained awake for the entire final night and was relieved of his vigil by Grandmaster Perez himself. Perez admonished him to show Courage, Loyalty, Temperance, and Wisdom, giving him a new name, “Xalbador”, to represent his rebirth as a Knight of Seneca.

Following his acceptance as a Knight, Inigo was initiated into a deeper Mystery and embarked on a flurry of magical creativity, trying desperately to forget his grief. Eventually, his daughter, his adventures with the Knights, and a visit from Luene bring him out of his funk. He participates in a small magical tournament and has a minor altercation with the soldiers of a mundane lord in France. He does his best to smooth things over, and the lord appears mollified – for now.

For her seventh birthday, Inigo took Kesara to see her godmother at Morgan’s Rise. Luene was expecting them, somehow. She even baked extra dessert for the both of them. While there, Inigo cannot help but feel that something is amiss, that Luene was hiding something from him. Further investigation revealed that the covenant, now slipping into Winter, was being bullied for its resources by Jarod of Flambeau, known in several tribunals to be an unsavory outlaw and bully.

Filled with protective rage, Inigo prepares a challenge to Wizard’s War before Luene can stop him. A moon before the war was to begin, Inigo stabbed his challenge deeply into the door of the braggart’s sactumn. It purportedly ended “Thou art a braggart, a coward, a bully, and a disgrace to thy house. I eagerly await the day we will meet on the field of battle, that I may relieve thee of thy life, and thereby relieve the world of thy stench and thy existence alike. Your cowardice is matched only by your idiocy. Prepare, then, fool, and let us meet on in combat.”

Inigo barely survived the subsequent war. Jarod was older and more powerful, though not as crafty. Inigo fled from Morgan’s Rise in the night so as not to bring his wrath down upon them, and tricked Jarod into an ambush. His Parma is just barely strong enough to ward against Jarod’s attacks, and Inigo finally slew him by tricking Jarod into standing in a pond and then boiling the water under him into scalding steam. He used the distraction run up and to stab him with his sword. Inigo’s victory was hardly glorious, but it did buy Morgan’s Rise some peace. Though Luene was angry at him for risking himself, she was secretly proud of him as well. They are not formally amici, but are very close to this day.

Inigo returned with Kesara to Andorra, then, and spent the last few years in contemplation and study. More recently, he has attuned Zoé’s Rose as his Talisman, removing it from his neck for the first time since her death. He wears it close to his heart now, forever a reminder of what he loved, gained, and lost.

He is tempered by the fires of time, but ready to face what lies ahead. His Courage and Loyalty are steeled for the test, supported by his Temperance and Wisdom. He stands at a crossroad, prepared to step into his full mantle as a warrior, a Legionnaire, an Andorran, and a Knight.

Advancement:
Winter: Study Order of Hermes Lore Tractatus Q7 + 3. +10=10(1).
The Order Divided, the Order United, by Julius of Tremere.
Spring: Study Imaginem Summa L5 Q10+3. +13=13 (4). Time Among the Gentry by Aurielle “the Blind” of Merinita.
Summer: Adventure: Welcome to Morgan’s Rise. Q10. Concentration+5=10 (2), Creo +2x1.5=26x1.5 (8), Finesse+2 =7 (1), Ride +2= 2 (0).
Autumn: Study Creo Tractatus Q11+3. +14x1.5=40x1.5 (10). The Realm of Forms, by Reginald of Bonisagus,

Winter: Study Parma Summa L3 Q10+3 +13=18 (2). Meditations on the Parma by Eavarestus of Criamon.
Spring: Adventure: An Unlikely Match. Q7. Muto+5=5(2). Langue D’Oc +2=2(0).
Summer: Study Parma Summa L3 Q10+3 +13=31 (3). Meditations on the Parma by Eavarestus of Criamon.
Autumn: Taught Finesse +11=18 (2).

Winter: Taught Langue D’Oc +13=15 (2).
Spring: Adventure: A Gift for Zoé Q9. Penetration +4=9(1). Single Weapon +5=10 (1).
Summer: Exposure to Langue D’Oc +2=17 (2). Spent recovering from wounds.
Autumn: Corpus +2=8 (3). Learns CrCo20 “Purification of the Festering Wounds” from a lab text.

Winter: Adventure: Riddles of the Legion. Q10 Code of Hermes +5=5(1). Legion of Mithras Lore +5=5(1).
Spring: Taught Single Weapon +7=17 (2).
Summer: Study Penetration Tractatus Q11+3. +14=23 (2). Piercing the Magical Shield by Tomas le Maladroit of Flambeau.
Autumn: Study Corpus Tractatus Q11+3. +14=22 (6). Whispers from Beyond by Eavarestus of Criamon.

Winter: Taught Finesse +11=29 (2).
Spring: Adventure: Nest of Vipers. Q12. Finesse+1=30(3) Auram+3=3(2), Penetration+3=26(2), Rego +3=18(5) Ride+2 =4(0).
Summer: Studies Vim Summa L5 Q10+3. +13=16 (5). On Power by Hortense of Tremere.
Autumn: Taught Langue D’Oc +13=30 (3).

Winter: Initiation: Self Confident and Restriction gained.
Spring: Adventure: Cleaning Out Bandits. Q5. Charm +5=10(1).
Summer: Study Perdo Tractatus Q13+3. +16=31 (7). Understand the Strife by Eavarestus of Criamon.
Autumn: Study Corpus Summa: Q12+3. +15=37(8). The Body and the Divine by Amadeus of Jerbiton.

Winter: Adventure: An Eye for an Eye Q15. Parma +5=36(3), Finesse +5=35(3), Penetration +5=31(3).
Spring: Exposure: Carouse +2
Summer: Adventure and Quest: Vengeance. Q10 Parma Magica +5=41(3). Creo +(2x1.5)=42x1.5(10), Corpus +3=40(8).
Autumn: Adventure: The Knights of Seneca. Q15 Leadership +5=10(1), Creo +5x1.5=47x1.5(11), Order of Hermes Lore +5=15 (2).

Winter: Study Magic Theory Summa Q20+3. +23=53(4) Keys of Bonisagus by Bonisagus the Founder.
Spring: Initiation: Acquires Flawless Magic.
Summer: Invent Lance of Archimedes, CrIg30 (Mastery: Multicasting), by working overtime and experimentation with +1 risk.
Discovery: Ignem +(8x1.5)=52x1.5 (12)
Autumn: Invent Wrath of the Afreet, Cr(Re)Ig25 (Mastery: Flex Casting to Voice) by working overtime and experimentation with +1 risk.
Discovery: Creo +3x1.5=52x1.5 (12). Rego +6=24 (6).

Winter: Perdo +2=33(7). Invent Wizard’s Theft of Warmth, Pe(Re)Ig25 by working overtime and experimentation with +1 risk.
Spring: Adventure: Seeking Illumination. Q7. Multicasting Mastery of Sun’s Scorching Caress +5x2=5x2 (1). Imaginem +2 =15(5)
Summer: Study Corpus Summa L15 Q12+3 +15=55 (10). Corporeum by Julius filius Arturis of Bonisagus.
Autumn: Taught Finesse +12=47(3).

Winter: Adventure: Journey and Tournament. Q12. Creo+(2x1.5)=52x1.5(12). Penetration Mastery of Sun’s Scorching Caress +(5x2)=10x2 (2), Fast Casting Mastery of Wizard’s Leap +(5x2)=5x2 (1).
Spring: Study Creo Summa L20 Q15+3. +18x1.5=70x1.5 (14) Liberi de Creationé by Bonisagus the Founder. Kesara is fully mobile and curious as ever, but most covenant members seem willing to watch out for her. She is quite the headache for her nurse, however.
Summer: Perdo +2=35(7). Learns Demon’s Eternal Oblivion, Sap the Griffon’s Strength, and Dreadful Bane of the Fae from lab texts all at level 5 (all with Multicasting masteries). Kesara is an unholy terror, and absolutely tenacious when there’s something she wants to know about. At one point, she is found sleeping in an empty guest laboratory, heedless of the intricate glassware and eldritch symbols. Inigo tries to impose discipline, but indulges her more than he should.
Autumn: Magic Theory +2=55(4). Prepare longevity ritual, expending 5p Co, 4pVi. Ritual power:-8.

Winter: Age 35 (34). Adventure: Time Waits for No Man. Q8. Concentration+5=15(2), Rego +3=27(6).
Spring: Magic Theory +2=57 (4). Opened Zoé’s Rose for enchantment, using 5 pawns of Vim vis. This is the first time since her death that he has taken it off his neck.
Summer: Study Magic Lore Summa L4 Q11+3. +14=19(2). The Travels of Fedoso Verderis of Criamon. He often reads to Kesara from Fedoso at night, saving the most ridiculous or exciting parts he finds for her.
Autumn: Study Muto Summa L12 Q14+3 +17=22(6).On Transmutation by Junola of Bonisagus.

Winter: Age 36 (34). Study Perdo Summa: L20, Q6+3. +9=44(8) Liberi de Perditu (exemplar edition), by Bonisagus the Founder.
Spring: Magic Theory +2=59(4). Attunes Zoé’s Rose as his talisman. It is the first time since her death that he has removed it from his neck.
Summer: Study Perdo Commentary: Q12+3. +15=59(10). Commentary on the Liberi de Perditu, by Florenzo of Jerbiton.
Autumn: Study Parma Magica Tractatus Q12+3. +15=56(4). Aegis of the Magus by Joseph of Flambeau.

Winter: Age 37 (34). Study Perdo Tractatus Q10+3. +13=72 (11) Questions of Death by Arioch of Tremere.
Spring: Adventure: Making Amends. Q10. Etiquette +5=5(1) Charm +5=15(2).
Summer: Study Imaginem Summa L14 Q10+3. +13=28(7) Apparitions and Phantasms, by Illeator of Bonisagus.
Autumn: Study Aquam Summa L18 Q8+3. +11=11(4). Atlanticus by Namoricus of Jerbiton.

Winter: Age 38 (34). Adventure: An Unexpected Visit. Q5. Quick Casting Mastery of Wizard’s Leap +(5x2)=10x2 (2).
Spring: Magic Theory +2=61(4) Inigo opens Zoé’s Rose for more enchantments, using seven pawns of vis and attuning it to “Protect Self +4” at the same time
Summer: Adventure: A Personal Matter Q10. Simulcasting Mastery of Sun’s Scorching Caress +(5x2)= 15x2 (3). Simulcasting Mastery of Wizard’s Leap +5x2=15x2 (3).
Autumn: Study Aquam Commentary Q11+3. +14=25(6). He ensures that Kesara is safe at Andorra, and asks Isabeau to come stay with her.

Winter: Age 39 (35). Adventure: On the Brink of War, Q15. Penetration Mastery of Lance of Archimedes+(5x2)=5+(5x2) (2). Mastery of Sun’s Scorching Caress +(5x2)=20x2 (3). Mastery of Wizard’s Leap +(5x2)=20x2 (3).
Spring: Adventure: At War Q10 Fast Casting Mastery of Sun’s Scorching Caress +(5x2)=25x2(4). Mastery of Wizard’s Leap +(2x2)=22x2 (3). Ignem (+3x1.5)=55x1.5 (11).
Summer: Study Aquam Tractatus Q8+3. +11=36 (8). Hydrologia by Alvinius of Verditius.
Autumn: Study Rego Tractatus Q12+3. +15=42(8). Proper Command and Control, Aaron of Jerbiton.

Winter: Age 40 (35). Taught spells by Luene of Merinita. Her lab total in highest art (Muto and Corpus) is 47 within Andorra’s Aura. She teaches PeIm20 Veil of Invisibility, and ReCo25From Ural’s Height.
Spring: . Magic Theory +2=63(4). Invent CrAq(Ig)25 “Grasp of Freezing Ice” by experimentation and working overtime. He gains no benefit from the experimentation, but succeeds without mishap anyway. Mastery: Flex Casting (D:Sun).
Summer: Study Perdo Tractatus Q11+3. +14=86(12). The Legacy of Apromor by Joseph of Flambeau.
Autumn: Imaginem +2=30(7). Invest “See Only My Shadow” into Talisman, attuning it to Ignem at the same time (+3).

Winter: Age 41 (35). Study Ignem Summa L14 Q12+3. +(15x1.5)=70x1.5 (14). Ars Flambonis by Elaine of Flambeau
Spring: > Rego+2=44(8). Invest Flight Without Wings into Talisman, simultaneously attuning it to “Demons, Devils, and Angels” (+4). He rises early each day in order to get extra time to accomplish this task.
Summer: Rego+2=46(9). Finish investing Flight Without Wings. He continues to rise early each morning.
Autumn: Adventure: Eternal Oblivion. Q11. Finesse +3=50(4). Multicasting Mastery of Wizard’s Icy Touch +(3x2)=3x2 (1). Penetration Mastery of Demon’s Eternal Oblivion +(5x2)=5+(5x2) (2).

Winter: Age 42 (35). Magic Theory +2=65(4). Learns PeIg30 Wizard’s Icy Grip (M:Penetration) and PeIg20 Quench the Raging Conflagration (M:Simulcasting) from lab texts.
Spring: Trained in spells by his mater. Her highest lab total is 45 (Creo Ignem). She teaches InTe15 Howl of Steel Weapons (M:Stalwart Casting), InHe15 Shriek of Impending Shafts (M:Stalwart Casting), and ReCo15 Endurance of the Berserkers (M:Flex Casting to D:Sun)
Summer: Invest A Thousand Faces into Zoé’s Rose, attuning it to “Move Self” (+2) at the same time. Expsoure Muto +2=24(6)
Autumn: Adventure: Just Like Old Times. Q13. Multicasting Mastery of Wizard’s Icy Grip +5x2=5+(5x2). (2). Simulcasting Mastery of Wizard’s Icy Touch +(5x2)=8x2 (2). Multicasting Mastery of Wizard’s Leap +(3x2)=25x2(4).

Inigo Elazar, called Xalbador, of Flambeau
Male, Size 0

Inigo's face is deeply tanned and weathered, with prominent smile lines and a thin scar running from below his left eye down to his jaw. His blonde hair, worn long, shows more than a hint of gray. His face is lightly dusted with stubble and his blue eyes are intense but kind. Around his neck he wears an exquisite brass amulet in the shape of a rose.

He lost his wife twelve years ago, and still grieves for her a little. He has one daughter, Kesara, whom he loves to distraction and spoils more than he aught. He is often seen at work or play with his brow furrowed in concentration and his face split by a grin of happiness. He is not as adventurous as he was in his younger days, but still never shies away from a good fight or a good cause. He has fought bandits, fae, demons, and even one Wizard’s War, from which he barely emerged the victor.

He is nominally associated with the Legion of Mithras through his parens. She has been his only Mystagogue throughout his time in the Mysteries, and the two of them attend events that feature the full cult only rarely. Inigo suspects she is either high ranking enough in the cult to do as she wishes, or crafty enough not to get caught. Though they are both devoted to the preservation of the Order and the propagation of justice, neither are particularly closely associated with the hoplites. Isabeau has also used unorthodox scripts and does not appear closely connected to the central cult; her exact relationship with higher level cult members is unknown.

Warping:
Decrepitude: 0
Confidence: 2 (6)

Wizard's Sigil: Inigo's spells are subtle and stylized, often incorporating a motif of roses.

Personality Traits: Optimistic +3, Brave +2, Protective +3, Romantic +1, Sardonic +1
Reputations: Bravery in Battle 3, House Flambeau Acclaim 2(4), Romantic 2 (4)

Characteristics:
Int: +2, Per +1, Str 0, Sta +2, Pre +1, Com -1, Dex -1, Qik +1

Virtues and Flaws:
Virtues: +0 Gifted Hermetic Magus, +F Puissant Ignem, +1 Inventive Genius, +1 Affinity with Creo, +1 Affinity with Ignem, +1 Deft Ignem, +1 Book Learner, +1 Puissant Parma Magica, +1 Life Boost, +3 Major Magical Focus: Heat
Flaws: -1 Incomprehensible, -1 Ambitious, -1 Deleterious Circumstances (when embarrassed, flustered, or extremely surprised), -1 Incompatible Arts (Intellego Mentem and Intellego Auram), -3 Optimistic, -3 Dependent (Kesara, his eleven year-old daughter)
Gained After Gauntlet: Self-Confident, Flawless Magic, Restriction (must touch a physical reminder of a loved one). Mentor and Enemies are a part of his story but are not “technically” flaws.

Abilities: Iberian Area Lore (legends) 1, Artes Liberales (ceremonial magic) 2, Athletics (running) 1, Awareness (alertness) 1, Brawl (dodging) 3, Carouse (drinking to forget) 0 [2], Charm (first impessions) 2, Code of Hermes (mundane relations) 1, Concentration (spell concentration) 2, Etiquette (nobles) 1, Euskara/Basque (storytelling) 5, Finesse (precision) 4, Folk Ken (warriors) 2, Guile (fast talk) 1, Leadership (inspiration) 1[5], Langue D'Oc (talking to family members) 3, Latin (Hermetic usage) 4, Legion of Mithras Lore (initiating others) 1, Magic Lore (regiones) 2 [4], Magic Theory (inventing spells) 4[15], Order of Hermes Lore (Famous Flambeau) 2, Ride (long journeys) 0 [4], Single Weapon (longsword) 2 [2], Stealth (sneak) 2, Survival (foothills) 2, Parma Magica (Ignem) 4+2 [6], Penetration (Ignem) 3 [1], Philosophiae (natural philosophy) 1

Magical Arts XP / score
Creo (70x1.5)/14
Intellego 3/2
Muto 24/6
Perdo 86/12
Rego 46/9

Aquam 36/8
Auram 3/2
Corpus 55/10
Ignem (70x1.5)/14+3
Imaginem 30/7
Vim 16/5

Combat:
Dodge: Init +1, Atk (N/A), Def +5, Dmg (N/A)
Fists: Init +0, Atk -1, Def +4, Dmg +0
Dagger: Init +1, Atk +4, Def +4, Dmg +3
Longsword: Init +3, Atk +6, Def +5, Dmg +6

Spellbook: [Casting Total, including focus, mastery and talisman, but not aura or encumbrance]
Purifcation of the Festering Wounds CrCo20. [+24]
Endurance of the Berserkers ReCo15 (Mastery 1: Flex Casting to D:Sun). [+22]
Wizard’s Leap ReCo15 (Mastery 4: Multicasting, Simulcasting, Fast Casting, Quick Casting). [+27]
From Ural’s Height ReCo25 (spell wiki) (Mastery 1: Precise Casting) [+24]
Shriek of Impending Shafts InHe15 (Mastery 1: Stalwart Casting) [+9]
Vision of Heat’s Light InIg20 [+25]
Wizard’s Icy Touch PeIg10 (Mastery 2(1): Multicasting, Simulcasting) [+45]
Wizard's Icy Grip PeIg30 (Mastery 1: Penetration) [+44]
Quench the Raging Conflagration PeIg20 (Mastery 1: Simulcasting) [+35]
Ward Against Heat and Flames ReIg25 [+40]
Veil of Invisibility PeIm20 (Mastery 1: Flex Casting to D:Diam) [+21]
Wizard’s Sidestep ReIm10 [+18]
Howl of Steel Weapons InTe15 (Mastery 1: Stalwart Casting) [+9]
Demon’s Eternal Oblivion PeVi5 (Mastery 2: Multicasting, Penetration) [+25]
Sap the Griffon’s Strength PeVi5 (Mastery 1: Multicasting) [+20]
Words Wrought of Iron PeVi5 (Mastery 1: Multicasting) [+20]

New Spells:
Sun’s Scorching Caress, CrIg 20 (Mastery 4: Multicasting, Simulcasting, Penetration, Fast Casting) [+54]
Voice, Mom, Ind
Conjure incredible heat around the target, causing him to take +15 damage. If this is enough to kill, the target is incinerated to mere ash. Metal near the target is heated red-hot, and flammable materials on or near his person are likely to ignite.
Base 10 +2 Voice

Radiant Aegis of the Righteous Cr(Re)Ig20 [+31]
Per, Diam, Ind
To others, you glow brightly enough to rival the sun, but when you look at yourself you see only a faint gold glow under your skin. Anyone trying to engage you in combat must succeed on a Stamina roll of 8+. If they fail, they cannot engage you and are blinded for a few seconds (-3 to all rolls requiring sight).
Base 10 +1 Diam +1 Requisite

Wizard’s Theft of Warmth, Pe(Re)Ig 25 (Mastery 1: Fast Casting) [+41]
Voice, Mom, Ind
Takes all of the heat from an area up to four paces across and four paces deep, making it cold enough to freeze water instantly. Any fires in the area decrease significantly in size. Living creatues caught in the area must succeed on a Stamina stress roll of 12+ or lose a fatigue level from the chill. You can control the size and shape of the affected area freely, though tricky maneuvers require Finesse rolls at the storyguide’s discretion.
Base 5 +1 Size +2 Voice +1 Requisite

Grasp of Freezing Ice CrAq(Ig)25 (Mastery 1: Flex Casting to D:Sun) [+36]
You encase an area up to four paces wide and six feet high in thick, supernaturally cold ice. Anyone caught in the ice is immobilized and must succeed on a Stamina stress roll of 9+ or lose a fatigue level each round. To break out requires a Strength stress roll of 12+, allowed once a round. Someone not trapped can chip out a trapped person within two rounds, but this requires proper tools.
Base 3 +2 Voice +1 Diam +2 Group +1 Requisite

Lance of Archimedes CrIg30. (Mastery 2: Multiple Casting, Amplify) [+52]
Voice, Mom, Ind
A ray of incredible heat shoots from your palm to your target, causing the air in its path to glow white-hot. It does +25 damage when it hits, leaving a smoking hole as evidence of its passage.
Base 20 +2 Voice, ray is a cosmetic effect.

Wrath of the Afreet Cr(Re)Ig25. (Mastery 1: Flex Casting to R:Voice) [+41]
Touch, Conc, Ind
While you concentrate, you heat an area up to the size of a man hot enough to melt lead, boil water to scalding steam, severely warp and scorch wood, and cause flammable objects to spontaneously ignite. You can control exactly how much heat is applied, how long it takes to heat up, and the size and shape of the area over which is it applied. Tricky maneuvers require Finesse rolls at the storyguide’s discretion.
Base 10 +1 Touch +1 Conc +1 Requisite

Equipment:
A longsword
Comfortable, stylish golden robes bound with a white sash.
Leather scale hauberk (worn only rarely)
Daggers (2)
Knife
A lock of Kesara’s hair, carefully wrapped and hidden on his person.
Vis, worn as jewelry or carried in belt: 3 pawns Ignem, 3 pawns Creo

Talisman: Zoé's Rose, an exquisitely well-made brass amulet featuring a rose.
Attunements: Ignem +3; Demons, Devils, and Angels +4; Protect Self +4; Move Self +2.
Enchantments (5 pawns free):
Only My Shadow PeIm10+10, Item Maintains Concentration, 24 uses/day. As Veil of Invisibility, but with Range:Personal. Inigo becomes invisible by rubbing the back of the amulet twice with his left thumb.

Flight Without Wings ReCo20+10, Item Maintains Concentration, 24 uses/day.
You levitate, held gently but firmly above the ground. You can fly as fast as a horse can gallop by concentrating, and moving and levitating in place are equally easy. A Finesse roll may be needed for any tricky maneuvers. The item maintains concentration, so there is no danger of falling from the sky because you forgot to think about your flight (though inattention while flying has its own dangers).
Inigo activates this effect by swirling his left index finger around the buds of the rose.

A Thousand Faces MuCo5+15, Item Maintains Concentration, Unlimited uses/day. Your body, facial features, physique, and even gender are changed to resemble any approximately human shape you choose. Inigo activates this effect by gently squeezing the amulet with his right hand.
Base 3 +1 many shapes +1Conc. +15 levels for unlimited uses and item maintains concentration.

Laboratory:
Inigo’s lab is warm, open, and airy with a high ceiling and several south facing windows. The exterior is a small but attractive house made of grey stone, which stands in the middle of the vineyards. The lab itself opens onto a small garden at the back, which is tidy and well-cared for, and the view of the vineyards from the windows or back garden is striking yet serene. Kesara and her nurse, Laine, come and go freely within the lab, although they stay out of the areas where Inigo works regularly. Laine will often clean parts of the lab when Inigo isn’t looking – he indulges her because he dislikes clutter more than he dislikes the intrusion.

His work area is clean but clearly well lived in, with tools and glassware organized in neat rows and drawers. His workbench has several small mirrors and prisms that playfully redirect and split the light streaming in the windows. There are two bronze plaques on the walls, diametrically opposite, both written in Latin. One reads “Strive always to be Courageous and Loyal, and to Temper your justice with Wisdom.” The other reads, simply, “Bring truth, bring light”. On a table near the center of the room, there is a brazier with a fire that burns without heat, which Inigo tends as part of his longevity ritual. Sitting conspicuously in a vase off to the side is a delicate pink rose.

General Quality +1, Refinement +0, Upkeep +1, Safety +2, Health +1, Aesthetics +5.
Specializations: +1 Texts, +1 Items, +1 Creo, +1 Rego, +1 Corpus, +1 Ignem.
Inactive specializations: +1 Vis Extraction, +1 Imaginem, +1 Mentem.

Free Virtues/Flaws
Dedicated Building (+1 Upkeep, +1 Aesthetics, +1 Rego)
Idyllic Surroundings (+1 Creo)
Superior Construction (+1 Safety, +1 Aesthetics)
Magically superior heating (+1 Aesthetics +1 Health +1 Ignem)
Magically superior lighting (+1 Aesthetics +1 Texts +1 Imaginem)
Superior Equipment (+1 General Quality, +1 Safety, +1 Vis Extraction)
Superior Tools (+1 Safety, +1 Items)
Person (-1 Safety, +1 Corpus)
Servant (has Intelligence +1). (+1 Safety, +1 Aesthetics, +1 Mentem)

Decimus Scribonious Lepidus Ex Mercere
Int +2 Per 0 Pre 0 Com +1
Str 0 Sta +2 Dex -1 Qui +1

Warping:

Virtues
Hemetic magus, The gift, Flawless magic, Cyclic magic (bonus during the day), Mastered spells, Method caster (loud voice and exaggerated gestures), Educated, Puissant Artes liberates, Puissant Philosophiae, Puissant finesse, Special circumstances (ceremonial magic)

Virtues gained through development
Mercurian magic

Flaws
Necessary condition (must wear a toga), Pagan, Humble, Temperate, Cyclic magic (negative bonus during night), Susceptible to the divine

Flaws gained through development

Vow- loyalty and obedience to the Cult of Mercury

Abilities/score/speciality
Artes liberates/3+2/ Ceremonial magic
Athletics/1/Hiking
Awarness/1/Lab accidents
Brawl/1/ Dodge
Charm/1/ Women
Code of hermes/1/ Iberian tribunal
Concentration/1/ Spell concentration
Faerie lore/1/ Faerie magic
Finesse/2+2/ Craft magic
Folk ken/2/ Magi
Guile/1/ Lying to underlings
Infernal lore/1/ Daemons
Intrigue/1/ Conspiracies
Latin/ 4 / Hermetic use
Leadership/1/ Rituals
Magic lore/1/ Cult of Mercury
Magic theory/ 5/ Inventing spells
Medicine / 3 / diagnostics
Order of Hermes lore/1/ Magi
Parma magica/1/ Ignem
Pentration/2/ Mentem
Philosophiae/3+2/ Ceremonial magic
Iberian tribunal lore/1/ Covenants
Provencal tribunal lore/1/ Covenants
Speak Occitan /5/ Catalan
Speak Provencal /1/ Travellers use
Stealth/1/ Moving silent
Survival/1/ Woodlands
Swim/1/ Long distances
Teaching/1/ Hermetic magic

Cr 5 In 5 Mu 5 Pe 5 Re 5
An 0 Au 1 Aq 0 Co 2 He 0
Ig 1 Im 5 Me 5 Te 0 Vi 5

Spells / TeFo/ Level / Bonus / Mastery / Mastery score
The wizard’s leap / ReCo / 15 / +9 / 1 / Fast cast
Aura of beguiling appearance / MuIm / 10 / +12 / 1 / Quiet casting
Aura of childlike innocence / MuIm / 10 / +12 / 1 / Quiet casting
Aura of Ennobled presence / MuIm / 10 / +12 / 1 / Quiet casting
Sap the Griffin's Strength /PeVi / 5/ +12 / 2 / Adaptive casting, multiple castings
Dreadful Bane of the Fae /PeVi / 5/ +12 / 2 / Adaptive casting, multiple castings
Demon's Eternal Oblivion /PeVi / 5/ +12 / 2 / Adaptive casting, multiple castings
The Cthonic Invocation /PeVi/ 5 / +12 / 2 / Adaptive casting, multiple castings
Opening the intangible tunnel / ReVi / 20 / +12 / 1 / Ceremonial
The call to slumber /ReMe / 10 / +12 / 1 / Penetration
Bind wound / CrCo / 10 / +9 / 1 / Fast cast
The wizards sidestep / ReIm / 10 / +12 / 1 / Fast cast
Eyes of the Cat / MuCo(An) / 5 / +7 / 1 / Quiet casting

Bonus does not include bonuses from anything other than Te+Fo+Sta.

Equipment

Wizardly robes of a modest quality.

Appearance

A tall man with egg shaped head and broad shoulders. His body is fit though he is not exceptionally strong. He has black hair and keeps a well kept beard but his hair always seems to be in disorder.

Background

Decimus where raised by redcaps of the Andorra covenant, no one ever knew where he came from. He where raised by a childless redcap Acantha, she raised Decimus as her own. Through faithful service to the covenant she where able to provide her found son with a education and a chance to live a better life.

At the age of twelve Decimus gift where apparent and he where soon apprenticed by Maga Honoria Ex Mercere. She took him away from Andorra and trained him in a Cult dominated covenant in the vicinity of Rome. From the start of his apprentice ship she noticed the skill that Decimus handled the magic with and saw him as potential asset to fight for the Cult of Mercury against the Neo-Mercurians.

All and all his studies where not that remarkable and right after his initiation he where initiated into the occult mysteries of Mercurian magic.

After finishing his studies and being a full member of the Cult of Mercury he returned to the covenant where he grew up. Decimus had two task, first he would be the Cults representative in Andorra and in the Iberian tribunal. Though not alone he had a vast task to complete. The second of his task where to make Andorra a fortress for the Cult of Mercury. That would harbour the ancient tradition and carry it on.

His years after apprenticeship where filled with studies and his inability to cast spontaneous spells other than as ceremonial magic made him try to first hone his skills with the formulaic magic and then to utilise his skill in ceremonial magic. He spent years fighting against members of the Neo-mercurian cult and to strengthen the Cults hold on the Iberian tribunal. One of the task was to know the quesiatoris of the tribunal. Even though scrying is forbidden there are other ways to know other humans. Gather information about their persons and any dirty secrets in their past, their virtues and their vices and if possible secure arcane connection if the need arises. Most of the time his mission has been to gather information and little direct confrontation with the enemies of the Cult, but Decimus feels the need to be prepared. He had used his skill to get a few enemies into trouble, never noticing his hand in the process. Up to date his covert work has not forced him to kill anyone but still there are things that weight his conscience.

Laboratory

Decimus laboratory lies in a glade a little bit of from the covenant. It is a well constructed two stories tall building and surrounded by most beautiful terrain. The building is infested with wines and is seemingly very old. The wines are of magical origin and changes colour appropriate to the season.

Virtues
Superior equipment, superior tools, superior magical heating, superior magical lighting, dedicated building, greater feature (astronomical device, +3 In), idyllic surroundings, superior construction

Flaws
Infested (wines, +1 He)

Characteristics
Size: +1 Refinement +2 General quality +1 Upkeep +1 Safety +3 Warping 0 Health +3 Aesthetics + 6

Specialisations
Items +1 Texts +1 Rego +1 Intellego +3 Herbam +2 Imaginem +1

Advancement after gauntlet

I’ll assume that Decimus gains an average of 10 levels of spells or xp per season unless he does some lab activity.

Anno Domini 1199

Learns the virtue of Mercurian magic, gains the flaw vow- loyalty and obedience to the Cult of Mercury

Anno Domini 1200

• Spring and summer – installs a greater feature in his lab. An astronomical device that gives +3 to Intellego.
• Autumn and winter – Study mastery of Opening the intangible tunnel (1022=40xp), mastery score of 3(15), new skill penetration and disguised casting

Anno Domini 1201

• Spring - Adventure, aids in a plot that puts a member of the Neo-Mercurian cult in conflict with his soldaes of the cult, 52 xp in mastery of Opening the intangible tunnel, mastery score 4, new skill magic resistance, 5xp in legerdemain, thus he gains the ability Legerdemain 1 Steal arcane connections
• Summer, autumn and winter – studies vim 10
3 xp, new vim score 9

Anno Domini 1202

• Spring, summer and autumn – studies rego 10 * 3 xp, new rego score 9
• Winter – studies terram 10xp, new score 4

Anno Domini 1203

• Spring and summer – reconstructs a chamber next to his laboratory so that it is especially designed for ceremonial magic (thus only demands a minute per magnitude and gives a + 5 bonus to ceremonial magic).
• Autumn – trained in Maintain the demanding spell lv 20, mastery 1, imperturbable casting and the invisible eyed revealed lv. 20, mastery 1, imperturbable casting.
• Winter - Invents Brief invisibility of the traversing Wizard Lv 10 (As Veil of Invisibility but R: Per, D: Diam,), mastery 1, fast cast

Anno Domini 1204

Adventures the whole year, new missions for the Cult of Mercury, thus 10xp in intrigue, legerdemain, charm and parma magica. A score of 2 in each ability is gained.

Anno Domini 1205

• Spring and summer performs two seasons of service for another magus to get a really strong longevity ritual(lab total 45, -9 to aging rolls), during his adventures he gains 5*2 xp in mastery of The call to slumber, thus he gains a mastery score of 2 and a new skill multiple castings.
• Autumn and winter – studies mastery of the Daemons eternal oblivion and Sap the griffins might so that each gets a mastery score of 3 and a new skill, penetration

Anno Domini 1206

• Spring and summer, studies mastery of the Dreadful Bane of the fae and The Cthonic Invocation so that each gains a mastery score of 3 and a new skill penetration
• Autumn – studies creo, 13 xp, new score 7
• Winter – Studies Corpus, 12 xp, new score 5

Anno Domini 1207

• Spring, summer and autumn, Studies Mentem, 10 * 3 xp, new score 9
• Winter – Studies Intellego, 10xp, new score 6 (4)

Anno Domini 1208

• Spring and summer – studies Intellego, 10 * 2, new score 9
• Autumn – Invent Ease the suffering of the wounded magus, CrCo 5 (Base 1, treat the wounds as one category less serious for the purposes of activity, R: Touch, Dur: Moon, T: Ind.) and Ease the suffering of the wounded battle brother, CrCo 5 (same as Ease the suffering of the wounded magus but with R: Voice and Dur: Sun) , both with mastery 1, fast cast
• Winter – Studies Perdo, 10xp, new score 6(4)

Anno Domini 1209

• Spring and summer – studies Perdo, 2*10xp, new score 9
• Autumn – studies Ignem, 14xp, new score 5
• Winter – studies Aquam, 6xp, new score 3

Anno Domini 1210

Studies Ignem for the entire year 4*10xp, new score 10

Anno Domini 1211

• Spring, invents Dart of Fiery conflagration (as Pillum of fire but base lv 5, thus damage +10), lv 15, mastery score 1, penetration
• Summer, autumn and winter, Studies mastery of Dart of Fiery conflagration, 25*2xp, new score 4 (5), new mastery abilities multiple castings, magic resistance and fast casting.

Anno Domini 1212

• Spring, Studies mastery of Dart of Fiery conflagration, 10*2xp, new score 5, new mastery abilitiy obfuscated casting
• Summer, Trained in The key of Theodorus lv. 10, mastery 1, quiet casting, Shriek of the impending shaft lv. 15, mastery 1, fast cast and Howl of the steel blade lv. 15 (as Shriek of the impending shaft but for metal weapon), mastery 1, fast cast
• Autumn - study herbam 10xp, new score 4
• Winter - Study Mentem, 10xp, new score 10

Anno Domini 1213

• Spring - Intellego, 10xp, new score 10
• Summer – Study Terram, 10xp, new score 4
• Autumn – Reinvent Borrow the eyes of Another, mastery score 1, ceremonial casting
• Winter – Practice mastery of Borrow the eyes of Another10*2xp, new score 2 (10), new mastery ability Lab mastery

Anno Domini 1214

• Spring – Invent astrological inception, Has N told the truth?
• Summer – Invent the silent conspiracy CrMe 20 (as word of unbroken silence but with a base level 4 that allows more complex thoughts to pass through and duration of concentration), mastery 1, quiet casting
• Autumn – Reinvent The Genethlialogical investigation InCo 15, mastery score 1, ceremonial casting and Whispers through the black gate InCo 15, mastery score 1, ceremonial magic
• Winter - practice mastery of The Genethlialogical investigation, 5*2xp, new score 2, new ability penetration

Anno Domini 1215

• Spring, summer and autumn –Adventures, new mission for the Cult of Mercury, 15xp each in charm and legerdemain, new score 3 in both abilities.
• Winter – Studies Parma magica, 10xp, new score 2 (10)

Anno Domini 1216
• Spring – studies Parma magica, 10xp, new score 3(5)
• Summer – studies Parma magica, 10xp, new score 3(15)
• Autumn – practice Parma magica, 5xp, new score 4
• Winter – Study mastery of The Genethlialogical investigation, 15*2xp, new score 3(15), new mastery ability disguised casting

Anno Domini 1217
• Spring – Study mastery of The Genethlialogical investigation (new score 4, new ability quiet casting), and Borrow the eyes of Another (new score 3, new ability penetration)
• Summer – Invent the tonic of Gold
• Autumn – Invent The grappling wine CrHe 5 (as Conjure the sturdy wine but with a duration of Diameter and a rego requisite so that it tries to bind a target of the magus choosing), mastery score 1, fast cast , Poor Musician’s Wage CrHe 3, mastery score 1, Imperturbable casting and Leaping Lillys CrHe 3, mastery score 1, precise casting
• Winter – Invent Summoning the Egyptian soil, CrTe 5 (creates 100 cubic paces of sand at a point desired by the caster, R: Voice, D: Diam, T: Ind. Base 1 +2 range +1 dur. + 1 size), mastery score 1, precise casting and Conjuration of the muddy filth (as Summoning of the Egyptian soil but it crates mud instead) , mastery score 1, precise casting

Anno Domini 1218
• Spring – Reinvents Pit of the Gaping earth, mastery score 1, fast casting and Fist of shattering, mastery score 1, fast casting
• Summer- Reinvents Palm of flame, mastery score 1, Imperturbable casting, Lamp without flame, mastery score 1, Imperturbable casting and Flash of the scarlet flame, mastery score 1, precise casting
• Autumn – Invent Brew the Tonic of Gold, mastery score 1, precise casting and Invisible throwing the Javelin, ReHe(Te) 10 (as Invisible sling of Vilano but throws a Javelin instead), mastery score 1, precise casting
• Winter – Reinvent Wind of mundane silence PeVi30, mastery score 1, Adaptive casting

Anno Domini 1219
• Spring – Reinvent The ear of truth, mastery score 1, quiet casting
• Summer – Reinvent The Ear of distant voices, mastery score 1, ceremonial casting and Prying eyes, mastery score 1, ceremonial casting
• Autumn – Invent astrological inception Is N inclined to betray NA?
• Winter – Invent astrological inception Is N loyal to NA?

Anno Domini 1220

START OF GAME!!!

Decimus Scribonious Lepidus Ex Mercere
Int +2 Per 0 Pre 0 Com +1
Str 0 Sta +2 Dex -1 Qui +1

Warping: 3(10) ?

Virtues
Hemetic magus, The gift, Flawless magic, Cyclic magic (bonus during the day), Mastered spells, Method caster (loud voice and exaggerated gestures), Educated, Puissant Artes liberates, Puissant Philosophiae, Puissant finesse, Special circumstances (ceremonial magic)

Virtues gained through development
Mercurian magic

Flaws
Necessary condition (must wear a toga), Pagan, Humble, Temperate, Cyclic magic (negative bonus during night), Susceptible to the divine

Flaws gained through development

Vow- loyalty and obedience to the Cult of Mercury

Abilities/score/speciality
Artes liberates/3+2/ Ceremonial magic
Athletics/1/Hiking
Awarness/1/Lab accidents
Brawl/1/ Dodge
Charm/3/ Women
Code of hermes/1/ Iberian tribunal
Concentration/1/ Spell concentration
Faerie lore/1/ Faerie magic
Finesse/2+2/ Craft magic
Folk ken/2/ Magi
Guile/1/ Lying to underlings
Infernal lore/1/ Daemons
Intrigue/3/ Conspiracies
Latin/ 4 / Hermetic use
Leadership/1/ Rituals
Legerdemain/ 3 / Steal arcane connections
Magic lore/1/ Cult of Mercury
Magic theory/ 5/ Inventing spells
Medicine / 3 / diagnostics
Order of Hermes lore/1/ Magi
Parma magica/4/ Ignem
Pentration/2/ Mentem
Philosophiae/3+2/ Ceremonial magic
Iberian tribunal lore/1/ Covenants
Provencal tribunal lore/1/ Covenants
Speak Occitan /5/ Catalan
Speak Provencal /1/ Travellers use
Stealth/1/ Moving silent
Survival/1/ Woodlands
Swim/1/ Long distances
Teaching/1/ Hermetic magic

Cr 7 In 10 Mu 5 Pe 9 Re 9
An 0 Au 1 Aq 3 Co 5 He 5
Ig 10 Im 5 Me 10 Te 4 Vi 9

Spells / TeFo/ Level / Bonus / Mastery / Mastery score
Aura of beguiling appearance / MuIm / 10 / +12 / 1 / Quiet casting
Aura of childlike innocence / MuIm / 10 / +12 / 1 / Quiet casting
Aura of Ennobled presence / MuIm / 10 / +12 / 1 / Quiet casting
Bind wound / CrCo / 10 / +14 / 1 / Fast cast
Borrow the eyes of Another / InMe / 30 / +19 / 3 / ceremonial casting, lab mastery, penetration
Brew the Tonic of Gold / ReTe(An, He) 4 / +11 / 1 / precise casting
Brief invisibility of the traversing Wizard / PeIm / 10 / +16 /1 / fast cast
Conjuration of the muddy filth / CrTe / 5 / +13 / 1 / precise casting
Dart of Fiery conflagration / CrIg / 15 / +19 / 5 / penetration, multiple castings, magic resistance, fast casting, obfuscated casting
Demon's Eternal Oblivion /PeVi / 5/ +20 / 3 / Adaptive casting, multiple castings, penetration
Dreadful Bane of the Fae /PeVi / 5/ +20 / 3 / Adaptive casting, multiple castings, penetration
Ease the suffering of the wounded battle brother/ CrCo / 5 / +14 / 1 / fast cast
Ease the suffering of the wounded magus / CrCo / 5 / +14 / 1 / fast cast
Eyes of the Cat / MuCo(An) / 5 / +7 / 1 / Quiet casting
Fist of shattering / PeTe / 10 / +15 / 1 / fast casting
Flash of the scarlet flame / CrIg / 5 / +19 / 1 / 1 / precise casting
Howl of the steel blade / InTe / 15 /+16 / 1 / fast cast
Invisible throwing the Javelin / ReHe(Te) 10 / +15 / 1 / precise casting
Lamp without flame / CrIg / 5 / +19 / 1 / Imperturbable casting
Leaping Lillys / CrHe / 3 / +14 / 1 / precise casting
Maintain the demanding / ReVi / 20 / +20 / 1 / imperturbable casting
Opening the intangible tunnel / ReVi / 20 / +20 / 4 / Ceremonial casting, penetration, disguised casting, magic resistance
Palm of flame / CrIg / 5 / +19 / 1 / Imperturbable casting
Pit of the Gaping earth / PeTe / 15 / +15 / 1 / fast casting
Poor Musician’s Wage / CrHe / 3 / +14 / 1 / Imperturbable casting
Prying eyes / InIm / 5 / +17 / 1 / Ceremonial casting
Sap the Griffin's Strength /PeVi / 5/ +20 / 3 / Adaptive casting, multiple castings, penetration
Shriek of the impending shaft / InHe / 15 / +17 / 1 / fast cast
Summoning the Egyptian soil / CrTe / 5 / +13 / 1 / precise casting
The call to slumber /ReMe / 10 / +21 / 2 / Penetration, multiple castings
The Cthonic Invocation /PeVi/ 5 / +20 / 3 / Adaptive casting, multiple castings, penetration
The Ear of distant voices / InMe / 20 / +22 / 1 / ceremonial casting
The ear of truth / InMe / 30 / +22 / 1 / quiet casting
The Genethlialogical investigation / InCo / +17 / 4 / ceremonial casting, penetration, disguised casting, quiet casting
The grappling wine / CrHe / 5 / +14 / 1 / fast cast
The invisible eyed revealed / InVi / 20 / +21 / 1 / imperturbable casting
The key of Theodorus / ReTe / 10 / 1 / quiet casting
The silent conspiracy / CrMe / 20 / +19 / 1 / Quiet casting
The wizard’s leap / ReCo / 15 / +16 / 1 / Fast cast
The wizards sidestep / ReIm / 10 / +16 / 1 / Fast cast
Whispers through the black gate / InCo / 15 / +17 / 1 / ceremonial casting
Wind of mundane silence / PeVi / 30 / +20 / 1 / Adaptive casting

Bonus does not include bonuses from anything other than Te+Fo+Sta.

Astrological inceptions, alchemical reagents and Pharmaceutical Theriacs
Has N told the truth?
Is N inclined to betray NA?
Is N loyal to NA?
The Golden Tonic

lol
I was trying to include this exact kind of thing in my seasonal activities, as I thought it'd be great and the 2 would get along well :laughing:

This still seems rather low.

I did a similar spell (although of Sun Duration) for Wirth in the Novus Mane campain, and it is level 15:

One of a Crowd (MuCo 15)
Range: Personnal, Duration: Sun, Target: Parts
Utterly change the appearance or size of a person: This spell allow its caster to appear as any approximately human being: This spell works just as "Disguise of the new visage", but affects all the body instead, in the same fashion, even allowing sex changes.
Base 3, +2 duration, +1 part, +1 extra size to affect various corporeal parts.

I thought about using the pure base 3 guideline, but this seemed awfully low, especially given the fact that it is actually more powerfull than "Disguise of the new visage": it does more things for 1 magnitude less, AND can replicate the Disguise's effects. Thus, it should IMO be at least 1 magnitude more (10 times more changes).

I guessed the base 3 guideline is for sweeping changes (like into an animal), not for the kind of things when you pick up, saying "I want green eyes, red hair, brown skin"...

Well, taken in a vacuum, it’s by the RAW. It certainly falls under “Utterly change the appearance or size or a person, though they must remain human in form”, and the changes in range, duration, and target I’ve made to it are all legal, I believe.

I understand your argument, though. Why would anyone use vanilla Disguise, then? I think it stems from Target Part actually being a worse effect than Target individual in most cases despite the increase in magnitude. I’m loathe to change it because I haven’t actually broken any rules, but if the general consensus is that I should to keep in line with Disguise then I’ll do that and go to 24 uses/day. The difference in play, especially a PbP, is probably negligible.

At work ATM....:

Could someone quote the virtue "Elementalist" for me please? PM me the text if you are willing to postit but think that posting the rule straight in the forum might be a copyright infringement. Thanks.

Xavi

@Falls:
Maybe it is me, but I think that heat should do -5 levels of damage over fire. Heat is powerful, but plain old fire is the paradigmatic damage source in the system. otherwise we start removing some of the appeal of the proverbial firebolt of classic fantasy. Fire is the only source that gets a bonus in that asense among all sources of damage in the system. Heat and cold should be no different here.

IMO heat is also more useful than fire in quite a few instances. For one thing it is discreet (you can toast someone without it appearing that you did cast a spell at him) and it has more applications than merely scorching things away.

Cheers,

Xavi

Cool, a Basque/Navarrese magus!

Language pedant note: Langue D'Oc in ArM5 (per Lion & Lily Appendix) is referred to as Occitan - given your character has a Basque background, the most likely specialisation would be the Gascon dialect but since he's educated you could keep the "talking with family members" specialisation.

This means you can speak with the other (mundane) inhabitants of Andorra, who speak Occitan 5 (Catalan) pretty OK.

Cheers,

Lachie

Language pedant note: Provencal is in fact a dialect of Occitan. Your score of 1 is therefore wasted as you already have a score of 5 with the dialect specialisation of Catalan. Note that IIRC there is some Occitan spoken in parts of Northernwestern Italy, so perhaps your Cult of Mercury Covenant is from that area (I'd have to check this to be sure though).

I'd reuse those 5 XP!

BTW Marko and I have been throwing around quite a few ideas regarding Mercurians and Mercurian magi for the Saga, so this should prove interesting for your character.

Cheers,

Lachie

The characters look great! I will check them out closer tonight. We are two weeks away from the Start of Game day that I had estimated (mid June)

PMed.

Indeed! I wanted someone from close by, but not actually in the region.

Hey, I was taking my cues from Mark :stuck_out_tongue:. Inigo learned Occitan from his wife while living in Provencal, which is why I chose that specialization.

Respectfully, I disagree. I had considered this when I was first designing the character, and decided not to do it for several reasons.

1. It’s discreet, but not that discreet. Most of my invented spells still betray the location of the caster (Lance of Archimedes, for example).

2. I grant you, it can be more subtle in some instances. However, the showiness of fire is not always a bad thing. It can be used to scare off mundanes, convince a magical creature that a fight is not worth its time, that sort of thing. The trade off of subtlety for showiness is a slight gain, but only a slight one.

3. Heat, by its very nature, is more damaging than cold. Indeed, it’s the aspect of fire that is so damaging (that and fire’s ability to spread and consume, which heat does not have – addressed next). I see no reason to have it follow the damage progression for cold arbitrarily, and a good reason not to – it makes no sense.

If anything, heat could be said to do more damage by the rules. I had considered creating a character to take advantage of the rules for full immersion in something very hot – dropping molten lead on enemies, for example. Full immersion in molten lead is good for +36 damage (9x4), and multicasting lets you create enough lead to cover a target of any size you like. Plus, the damage ticks every round while the lead is still on them. I chose not to exploit this because I felt it was against the spirit if not the letter of the rule and really would decrease the effectiveness of plain ‘ol fire. It didn’t really fit with my character either, so I let it go, but it is there. Heck, creating heat “hot enough to melt lead” (same base as Pilum!) all around someone should be equivalent to dropping molten lead on them – so why not have it do +36 damage? It’s lame, that’s why, so I chose to follow the straight damage progression for CrIg instead.

1. As for discouraging the use of plain old fire, well, I find it very hard to believe that every Ignem combat magus that has ever lived has confined themselves to PoF, AoFR, and BoAF (old standbys though they are). Heat stays within Creo Ignem, which has a pre-established damage progression. Fire even still wins out because it’s likely to start incidental fires that are not resisted by MR. Heat could superheat armor or weapons while it’s doing damage, but if the whole heat spell is resisted, that aspect is resisted as well. Fire’s ability to spread in a nonmagical way puts it above, or at least equal to, heat in overall combat usefulness.

Also, the idea that heat alone can be damaging is clearly in paradigm. A spell that destroys the heat in a fire also removes its ability to do damage and spread, implying that people do believe heat is what does the damage. I firmly believe that the firebolt throwers are in the majority, but are by no means the only guys out there.

Order of Seneca and in the period of 1218-1219. I'm at work so no access to my notes.

Order of Seneca? The Knights of Seneca are not a mystery cult. It might be interesting to make them into a mystery cult, but I do not have a copy of TMRE yet (it is in the mail, I had to choose between that and Art & Acadame, I hope I chose wisely :wink: )

And falls, I agree that Fire should be more damaging than simply heat, say, equal to level? Pure heat is fire in an unnatural shape after all.

Quick, at what temperature does wood melt?

The cellulose decomposes chemically first :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a fair ruling, but it makes my character something I am not OK with mechanically. Damage equal to level is equivalent to PeIg, and PeIg has the added bonus of ignoring soak from armor, which means there’s no mechanical reason for me to use CrIg to do damage – the biggest reason I chose to be a Flambeau in the first place.

Since we already have a cold magus in the works, maybe this is a sign that I should revise my character concept a little. Mark (et al) how would you feel if I revised my concept to be based around doing exposure damage over time – using molten metal, scalding steam and the like? I realized I just trashed this in my previous post, and I do think that taken as-is, it’s too powerful. Perhaps a house rule lowering that damage somewhat while still keeping it viable?

Basically, I want a magus whose damage can keep pace with damage from fire without being forced to use vanilla “fire”. This is what I believe would make the game fun for me. Is there a compromise we can reach to make this possible?